Amy Levander is the Chair of Krieg DeVault’s Government Affairs and Public Advocacy Practice Group. She is one of very few females appointed to serve as the chair of a government affairs practice group for a major law firm. Prior to joining Krieg DeVault’s Governmental Affairs team, Amy Levander served as Governor Kernan and Governor O’Bannon’s Deputy Legislative Director. In that role, she negotiated legislation on behalf of the Governor with House and Senate Leadership, approved all agency legislation and made recommendations to the Governor. Prior to this role, she served three and a half years on the Indiana House of Representatives Democrat Staff.
Ms. Levander has over 20 years of government experience serving both the executive and legislative branches.
- Successfully advocated for passage of a new state grant program to assist with redevelopment of historic properties
- Advocated for changes to the state pharmaceutical statute to allow for substitution of bio-similar medications, despite strong opposition by the generic drug industry, pharmacy benefit managers and insurance companies
- Successfully lobbied for a change in the telemedicine statute to allow for Medicaid reimbursement for telemedicine services for the HIP population
- Advocated on behalf of certain elected officials for significant changes in their state pension plan
- Negotiated legislation enacting an electronic waste recycling program, which requires manufacturers of certain products to recycle a percentage of their sales by weight
- Promoted legislation requiring insurance companies that contract with the state Medicaid program to achieve NCQA accreditation as a matter of eligibility to do business with the program
- Indiana University, Indianapolis, Indiana (M.P.A., 2005)
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana (B.S., 1997)
- Stanley K. Lacy Leadership Series, Class XLII
- Hoosier Women Forward, Founding Member
- Hope Academy, Board of Directors – President
- Old North Side Board of Directors, Treasurer
- Government Affairs Society of Indiana
- Marion County Democrat Party Chairman’s Club
- Volunteer for numerous legislative and statewide candidates and elected officials
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Sagamore of the Wabash, Awarded by Governor O’Bannon in 2003
- Sagamore of the Wabash, Awarded by Governor Kernan in 2004
Amy Schwarz is a member of Krieg DeVault’s Governmental Affairs & Public Advocacy Practice Group, where she serves as the legislative and Regulatory Operations Coordinator. She has experience working with the state legislature and executive branch agencies in various roles within state government.
Prior to joining Krieg DeVault, she interned at an Indianapolis public affairs firm; served as the legislative intern for the Minority Leader at the Indiana State Senate; and worked in the legislative and communications offices at the Indiana Department of Education. In addition to her work in state government, she serves as program staff for Hoosier Women Forward and has prior experience as a political campaign manager.